Unable to make Cascata work

Cascata: An Arduino Waterfall
Leigh L. Klotz, Jr, WA5ZNU

Moderator: wa5znu

Unable to make Cascata work

Postby g4ipz » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:09 am

Hi all.
I've been scratching my head for a bit now with a problem with the Cascata project

I have a fully functional LCD shield and UNO which work with all the standard sparkfun (and other) sketches for that Nokia LCD shield however I cannot get the Cascata sketch to run.

It compiles and loads without flagging any errors however it seems to do nothing, simply leaving any pre-existing screen display that might be on the LCD showing as a static image.

For example if I run the Sparkfun LCD clock sketch all is fine. However if I then load, compile and run the Cascata sketch all that happens is the clock display freezes at where ever it was.
This sort of indicates to me that the LCD cog memory isn't being updated from what ever state it was in when the previous sketch ceased running and the new one started.

The buttons don't appear to do anything and nothing changes on the screen when they're pressed.
The librariy .h files (for fix_fft, LCD_driver_progmem & logtable) are all included and in the same folder as the sketch. I have also tried them in the Arduino libraries folder with no success.
The sketch is the version downloaded from the companion website .

Any ideas as to what I'm probably stupidly missing are welcome.

Slim Haines G4IPZ

So any ideas?
g4ipz

Re: Unable to make Cascata work

Postby g4ipz » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:34 pm

UPDATE

The problem seems to be concerned with the PHILLIPS definitions in LCD_driver_progmem.h file as the line referring to '#define PHILLIPS' is commented out as '// #define PHILLIPS' leaving only the EPSON definition active.

My shield has a Philips display for definite as all the Philips based sketches work while any Epson ones dont.

Now I'm a mere rooky when it comes to understanding editing C and C++ based .h and .cpp files but I tried commenting out the '#include EPSON' line and reinstating the #include PHILLIPS line and checking through both the .h and .c files for constancy however it will not compile with the PHILIPS lines simply giving me a load of errors.

It will compile happily with the Epson info but simply doesn't address the Philips LCD

Help Please - anyone :-(

Slim H G4IPZ
g4ipz

Postby g4ipz » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:36 pm

Well on the vague chance that someone else in the world is trying to use Cascata I have (sort of) got somewhere with using it with the Arduino shield that uses the Philips based LCD. These seem to be the only ones out there now as all the ones I have queried the suppliers about have been Philips devices.
I was totally unable to make cascata work 'out of the box' so to speak. Looking at the .c and .h files the Philips options had been commented and #ifdef'd out of responding and it was clearly set up to work with the Epson display.
I am not really a C programmer but pursuing a logical path I simply removed all of the lines that plainly pointed to code for the Epson display.
That produced a semiworking version of Cascata however it is upside down as compared to the version in the book. I also had to play about with the contrast and colour codes to get a display.
That, at the moment is as far as I have got. I will take a look at it over the weekend perhaps but I am sort of losing interest with the whole project and may just carry on tarting up my Uno LCD scope sketch instead.

Dale H
g4ipz

Postby g4ipz » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:55 am

Well unless something amazing comes up this will be my last post on the subject of Cascata as it appears that it simply doesn't want to work.
I borrowed a sparkfun Nokia shield that definitely has the Epson lcd and, sad to report, the thing is no better than my hacked around Philips version.
Yes it does work but you can barely see the display. It certainly is nowhere near as good as the picture on the projects site would make it seem.
No amount of playing around with the contrast settings in the various files actually improved it beyond a washed out, misty not-a-lot image.
Shame as it was the only reason I purchased a nokia shield in the first place.
I shall have to try to understand the FFT part of the sketch and try to incorporate it into driving one of the physically larger colour LCD displays but that will be a while yet.

g4ipz

Return to Cascata